11 February 2009

hearing science

So.... considering I've been completely submerged in information about the ear (from the many audiology classes I have/am taking), I thought I'd share some interesting tidbits for those of you who would like to know:

1. Do NOT use Q-tips. I know you want to. I know it feels good. But honestly, its bad for your ear.

WHY? The first 1/3 of your ear canal secretes wax. When you stick a Q-tip down your ear canal, it may catch some, but Q-tips mostly push all that wax back to the last 2/3 of your ear--which is where it will stay, and build up against your eardrum, until you have to go into the doctor to pay THEM to remove the buildup of wax.

Wax will come out on its own--your ear has many built-in cleaning mechanisms. Let it do it's thing! If you experience a sudden slight loss of hearing and you think it is due to wax, go into the doctor. But otherwise, leave it alone!

P.S. - And don't even THINK about cleaning/scratching your ear canal with anything long or sharp. If your ear itches, go to the doctor. They have ear drops that will help with dry skin in your ear. There are stories! My teacher said that just this week a mother came in. She had been itching her ear with a rat-tail haircomb when her daughter barged into the bathroom, bumping the mother's elbow. Hence, the comb when straight through her eardrum, destroying the ossicles (bones in the ear) and slicing into the cochlea. She is now 100% deaf in her left ear because she was stupid and put something sharp in her ear. Need I say more to convince you?

2. Turn down your iPod!!

Statistical fact: 15% of college students have hearing equal to or worse than their parents!! All due to prolonged excessive noise!! --Their parents may have acquired noise-induced hearing loss from their work environment (such as a factory, or around power tools, etc). But WE are creating the same hearing loss with prolonged exposure to music through iPod's and concerts! So stop it! You are going deaf too young!!

P.S. Temporary Tinnitus is a clue that you are destroying your hearing (however, be aware that it can also be caused by stress). Tinnitus is the phenomena of your ears ringing for an extended period of time. It can become chronic with continued damage to the ear--can you imagine having your ears ring constantly for the rest of your life? That would be annoying.

Anyways... just thought I'd give a few pieces of advice with concern to the ear.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Holy cow! That comb story freaked me out!! I never have done that, but I never will. How sad! So, then what is the proper way to maintain ear hygiene? Because I think we have all seen some gross ears that needed to be cleared of wax. When it is visible, can you use a q-tip to remove it?

MeganKalynn said...

ahh! my ears ring all the time after work! ... but i think thats because im a ref and am blowing a whistle for 5 hours straight...