21 December 2010

barbara barber

My life is filled with interesting people.
And as I've been constantly surrounded by people of an older generation, 
I decided to share one of my favorites:
Barbara Barber.


Barbara Barber is in the LA ward I grew up in.
She was the Sunbeam teacher for almost 50 years.
Yes, I mean it.
50 years.
My dad was in her Sunbeam class.
My sister was in her Sunbeam class.
And the year I was a Sunbeam...
Can you guess?
Nope...I wasn't in her class.
She had to take a year off because her husband was sick.
But I definitely felt jipped 
because she was the coolest Sunbeam teacher. 
Ever. 

Every week, she had a folder with each of her kids' names on it.
And in the folder there were scripture-oriented pictures and stories
to keep them occupied during Sacrament meeting.
She felt so bad that my year of Sunbeams missed out, 
that as a CTR 4, I got the Sunbeam folder every week.
made. my. year.

Barbara Barber (and yes, I call her that because it's just so much more fun to say both names) also had the best Christmas parties in LA. She started having a Christmas party to invite her Sunbeams so that they could have a night out with their parents. Over the years it ended up being a reunion Christmas party because she continued to invite her Sunbeams from all the years she taught plus their families (like my dad). They were awesome. Some of my best Christmas memories include a Barbara Barber party. There were many fun party traditions, like getting to pick an ornament off one of the several trees in her home or sitting on Santa's lap.

I went to visit her this last week.
She might be under 5'. 
She might be missing the pointer finger on her left hand.
And she might be in her 90's.
But that woman is extraordinary.

No comments: