01 December 2010

billboards

So, of course, living in LA gives me quite an advantage in the billboard department. I see hundreds of them everyday. Granted, in some areas, you don't want to look up because the billboard displays are more than likely semi-pornographic or offensive in some way (aka Hollywood). And for the most part, billboards in LA are advertising movies or TV shows. But every once and a while I'll see something cool.

Like this:
Ohhhhh yeah. The Beatles. Can't go wrong. Every time I get off the freeway on Santa Monica, I know I'm in for a big smile, because the Beatles greet me. 

(PS - Look! It's a Tesla store just beneath the billboard. Like woah, those roadsters are gorgeous).

Or another one:
Ok. Granted, this is slightly depressing. But cool factoid: this billboard has been up on Santa Monica Blvd since my dad was in highschool! For reals. And on January 1st every year, the digital readout goes back to zero and it starts all over again. It's all based on statistics. So as of today, 1 December 2010 around 10:00am, there have been 401,293 smoking-related deaths in the U.S.--and counting.

Another billboard that I see all the time, is the "THIS IS MY TOWN" billboard, with different celebrities on it. It's advertising the Dodgers. (Go Dodgers!)
This is Hiroki Kuroda, a pitcher that just resigned with the Dodgers. Woot! And LA is his town.

But guess who else thinks LA is his town?
That's right! Yoda!

Anyways, during traffic, my scenery usually ends up being overtaken by billboards, so I'd thought I'd share the wealth. ;D

No comments: