13 December 2011

i'm determined...


So I'm a huge fan of the website goodreads.com. I seriously enjoy keeping track of what books I've read, and also sharing my likes and dislikes with friends. I can also keep track of books I want to read, or books friends recommend. Well, around February of this year, I made a goal on the site to read 100 books by the end of the year. I've been pretty consistent in reading at a regular pace until a few months ago. I just haven't read very much in the last two months.

Anyways, I realized a few days ago that I was 20 books away from completing my goal, and I had a little over 20 days to complete it!! I'm determined. It's ridiculous, but I'm going to do it.

So here are the books I've read in the last four days:
1. The Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare --the sequel to The Clockwork Angel. I enjoyed it immensely. And when you have read it, let me know so we can discuss it. PS - Will or Jem?? I totally am rooting for Will, although a piece of my heart breaks for Jem when I say that.
2. The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas --I liked it a lot. Subtle twists and turns I wasn't expecting. It's about a group of women in a quilting club during the Great Depression in Kansas who band together during a crisis.
3. Women of Character by Susan Easton Black --I loved this. It was a book of mini-biographies on 100 prominent LDS women. Seriously loved it. It made me realize that I can make a difference in the world with whatever talents I have been given--whether it is service, education, compassion, humor, etc.
4. Proof by David Auburn --this is a script for a play. I enjoyed it. It was intriguing. I didn't expect to like it, but I totally did.
5. Betrayal by Harold Pinter --another script for a play. I didn't like this one. It was about a woman who cheated on her husband. I hate stories like that. Thank goodness it was short.
6. Dinner with Friends by Donald Margulies --another script for a play. This one was about two couples who are best friends--one couples marriage is falling apart, and the other is strong. It was interesting to see how the marriages were portrayed against each other.
7. Corker by Anya Bateman --cute LDS novel, super easy read, and yet, I've read better.
8. Big Ben is Back by Anya Bateman --the sequel to Corker. Ditto to my first comments.

So--12 to go. Not bad when I have 18 days left in the month of December, and over 30 hours of traveling to look forward to. I'm one of those lucky people who don't get car sick when I read. *grin*

So here are a few books I might read to complete the remaining 12:

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Daughters in My Kingdom: the History and Work of Relief Society by the LDS Church
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Inheritance (#4 of the Eragon series) by Christopher Paolini

Any books you recommend for my "end of the year" list??

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you read Peter Pan? Because if not... you need to.