22 June 2011

ward camp-out

So for my ward's "big summer event" we went on a camp-out to McGrath State Beach in Oxnard. There were about fifty people who showed up (whew!). We had fun despite the June Gloom weather (overnight rain), and the partitioned beach (due to the endangered bird species living there). Great friends, great food.

I put up my very first tent! (I know, I know--pathetic...) But every other time I've gone "tent-camping" I've been with either my Dad (who puts it up for me), or we show up for Girls Camp, and they are already set up by our leaders.
Photobucket
Isn't my tent amazing? ;D I'm very proud. Allana and I put it up together. Only took us 20 minutes (haha). And the zipper is totally broken. We safety-pinned ourselves in for the night. Although, I ended up sleeping in the backseat of my car. My back/hips were killing me and I couldn't fall asleep. So around 4am, I gave up, unpinned myself from my tent, and dragged my sleeping bag through the damp dirt into the backseat of my dad's very comfortable (hah) SUV. But thankfully, I was able to sleep for at least three hours. haha.

We, of course, had some pretty fantastic food as well.


Photobucket
Tin foil dinners. YUM

Photobucket
Bacon-wrapped chicken. *sigh* Drooling just thinking about it. Bacon makes everything better.

Yummy peach cobbler, upside-down pineapple cake, and a chocolate berry concoction all due to Andrew Whiteside's skills. (He is now considered the ward's #1 bachelor!)

Masato and Johnny making everyone breakfast. We really took the gourmet route for our camping trip!

I never made it to the beach--it was too cold (that is my excuse), but we occupied ourselves very well.
Photobucket
Badminton, yay!

Photobucket
Campfire gatherings... talking, marshmallows... you know the drill.

And early morning ultimate frisbee!

A success, if I do say so myself--even if I had nothing to do with the planning or execution of the entire trip. ;D Way to go Ali and Dan!

No comments: