
So, as most everyone is aware, my grandmother, Jean Prior Sheranian, passed away last week on Tuesday, September 27, 2011 at the age of 77. She was one of those extraordinary women who touched the lives of everyone around her. She was a friend to everyone and always thinking of who next to serve. She was not one of those people who had to create that habit. I feel like she was always one of those lucky people who was blessed to have a giving heart. It was part of her nature to help others. It was never done out of pity, self-gain, or for praise. She never thought about the time that she spent giving to others. It was so easy for her to say, "Oh! Of course I'll come pick you up!" And "Is there anything I can do? No really, I'll make you some dinner." Or "Have we sent her a card yet? I heard she isn't feeling well. I want to make sure she knows someone is thinking about her."
In honor of my grandmother, my family has invited everyone to follow in her footsteps by donating to the LDS Perpetual Education Fund.
It has been a fantastic year. I know that I have been blessed to spend the last year of my grandma's life by her side. I have had the opportunity to witness the constancy of my grandmother's optimism, determination and charity at close quarters. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything in this world, and I will cherish those memories forever.
I am constantly being asked, "Are you ok?" Under the circumstances, it is a typical, even expected, question. Here is my answer: Most definitely, yes.
Why? Because I believe in eternal families. I believe that she is in a better place and that I will see her again. That it is through the Lord Jesus Christ that this is possible. That if I keep my covenants, and strive to live worthy of the blessing of the temple, I will be able to create an eternal family of my own. How great is that?
This isn't a time for sadness. It is a time to rejoice in the life of an extraordinary woman. To honor her. Pres Monson said "Decisions determine destiny." She chose to live a good and happy life. To serve others. To stay close to her family. To remember her Savior. I too, choose to be happy. To choose to live in such a way that she will be proud of me when I see her again. I am the captain of my soul.
2 comments:
Love, love, love that picture!!
Oh KaRynn, beautifully written. I'm very grateful I got to meet your grandmother and I'm too grateful she is in a place of peace and free from pain. That is a beautiful picture. You know, working with elderly people makes you appreciate that they too were young, beautiful, and just full of life once upon a time. Your grandmother was always that person, it's mortality that seems to rob you of the truth. IT's just our bodies can't always keep up with our spirits. Blah Blah Blah, I'm just babbling. I just love you KaRynn and grateful that you choose to be happy, so do I!
Post a Comment