12 February 2008

2008 Primary Presidential Candidates

So I know that the primaries for several states are all over. But I have been more into this whole voting thing than ever before! (Mostly because I can actually vote this year--as opposed to 2004 when I turned 18 two months afterwards!)

One thing in the California primaries (I was an absentee voter) that made me laugh hysterically were all of the sad propositions. I am proud of the people who wanted to do something politically (there is a silent majority who basically do not live up to their civic/political duty as a citizen of the United States). But really... there were 7 propositions and only one (that I could tell) that was not bull. If you didn't really look into the propositions, you would totally have said yes to a few of them and it would not have been a good thing! One had bizarre wording about reducing the amount of years a Californian can stay in office from 14 to 12. That's funny though because a rep can only stay in the senate for 8 years and in the assembly for 6 which yes, equals 14. But the catch on this prop is that by reducing the full amount from 14 to 12, a rep can now be in the senate for 12 or the assembly for 12. The other catch is that it starts now, so someone who has been in the senate for 8 years already, can now be in the senate for another 12. Not really something that I want. But if I hadn't really looked into the proposition, the wording would have fooled me.

I am a Democrat. I am. And I'm proud of it. But I am also very sad to see Mitt Romney go. He was a good man and would have been a good candidate. If it had come down to Mitt and Barack, I would not have cared who I voted for because I would have known that no matter what, and no matter their political differences, the country would be in the hands of an honest and more-than-competent leader (which can not always be said of our current position). However, we shall see where it ends up. I don't think the Lord will let a candidate win that will TOTALLY ruin the U.S. =D

My roommates and I had fun on Super Tuesday, though. We watched all the polling results on CNN the whole night.

No comments: