27 February 2008

Hold On Thy Way

Doctrine and Covenants (D&C) Sections 121 and 122 are two sections that I read and apply to my life often. They both were given to the Prophet Joseph while he was a prisoner at Liberty Jail. Although given at separate times, I feel like Section 122 is a continuation of Section 121. It is through these two sections that, when I am in a low place, or am feeling like the whole world is collapsing around me, I am able to gather the strength and comfort I need to endure to the end—knowing that of all that are called, I am one that is chosen.

A personal experience of this simple truth is when winter comes around in Utah. Depression tends to arrive along with the snow. And when I am not carefully reading my scriptures and saying my prayers daily, I immediately form the habit of sleeping long hours (more than is needful), skipping too many classes, and overall, having no motivation to do anything productive in my life because it all just seems pointless. However, when I do the things that I am supposed to, like reading my scriptures and saying my prayers, the Lord gives me the help I need. Every winter morning when I wake up, the phrase, “Hold on thy way” (D&C 122:9), comes into my mind. Knowing that Jesus Christ is on my side and that He understands me, gives me the strength I need to roll out of bed and onto my knees. I can continue on with my day with a smile on my face and my heart filled with light—even when there are dark clouds in the sky and two feet of snow on the ground.

Being chosen, we are required to live righteously and endure to the very end. Elder N. Eldon Tanner reminds us “we must not be nearly dependable, but always dependable… Remember, there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen? Because their hearts are set upon the things of the world, and aspire to the honors of men” (“Dependability,” Ensign, Apr. 1974, p.5). The Lord has asked us to trust in Him always and to endure to the end by being His dependable servants. We can maintain this dependability by living righteous lives and by doing those things that He has asked of us that consequently, give us the greatest joy as well. Elder Dieter Uchtdorf explains that “enduring to the end is a process filling every minute of our life, every hour, every day, from sunrise to sunrise. It is accomplished through personal discipline following the commandments of God” (“Have We Not Reason to Rejoice?” Ensign, Nov. 2007, p.19). For those of us who continue to “endure valiantly in the gospel of Jesus Christ” (D&C 121:29), we shall receive so many wonderful blessings in this life and the life to come. By being one that is chosen, we must endure to the end because “it means strength of character, selflessness, and humility; it means integrity and honesty to the Lord and our fellowmen. It means making our homes strong places of defense and a refuge against worldly evils…” (Uchtdorf p.21). Enduring to the end is a daily challenge. We are natural men and women and as such, fall short of perfection frequently in our lives. Which is why the simple day-to-day responsibilities like personal prayer are so important. This is a time that we can use to repent and have the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ remove our sins and to make up for what we cannot do ourselves. This is the time when we can open up our hearts to the Lord and receive the strength we need to keep moving forward.

Those that have not been chosen, have had their hearts set on the world. Enduring to the end means making our homes a refuge against that world. By enduring to the end, we are not only actively moving along the strait and narrow path towards our eternal goal, but we are setting up defenses against the very real possibility of turning our backs on the Lord if we lose sight of that eternal goal. In the mists of darkness and the clouds of despair (for me), sometimes it can be so difficult to keep putting one foot in front of the other. But those defenses that we have built are what keep us moving. Those defenses include scripture-study and personal prayer, as well as church and temple attendance. All these add together to help me form a lasting relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ. Each day that I strive to endure to the end by doing all that I can, I gain a stronger and more personal testimony of the life and purpose of my Redeemer. Remarkably, my testimony of His life, His death, and His resurrection; of His divinity, His humanity, and His love for me, give me the will power to get up in the morning and smile throughout my day. What a wonderful plan of happiness our Heavenly Father has prepared. We can never repay our Father or Savior for the debt we have, because even after we have done all that we can do in our repayment to them, He blesses us that much more.

“…If the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son [and daughter], that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he? Therefore, hold on thy way….” (D&C 122:7-9).

No comments: