13 October 2010

top ten: of all time

Since I've been reading constantly these last couple of months to fill in the time while I am just sitting (at a hospital, rehab center, doctor's office, ER, etc), I decided to put up a list of my top ten favorite books of all time.

This is in no particular order. I couldn't order them if I tried.
Before I list them, I should also admit that these top favorites are books that blew my mind when I read them, or were so good, I've read them more times than I can possibly remember. So, with no further ado...

Top ten favorite books:

This book is short, entertaining, and brilliantly written. It's not gripping or anything, but it is philisophical enough that by the end of the book, my thoughts were, "Oh my. I am SO not living the way I should. I'm just gliding through life without really enjoying the journey. I need to count my blessings." Coehlo really made me stop and think about my life. I loved this book. I own it and I've read it multiple times.
My grandparents gave this book to me for Christmas in highschool. I looked at it and thought, "Hm. Huge book. I'll get to it sometime." And... I put it on my shelf. A year later, I glanced at my shelf and felt a little guilty. So I picked it up and started to read.
And I Could. Not. Put. It. Down.
Should be considered a classic. If it isn't, I declare it so.
Uris masterfully conveyed the situation of the Jewish people right after WW2 and their plight in creating a national state of their own. He recreated the struggles of the Holocaust in a manner that grips the reader, brings them to tears, and then makes them sob as the survivors build their lives once more.

Seriously, Card has an amazing imagination. I've read this book so many times, my copy is falling apart. No matter how many times I read it, I get excited about the battleroom. I get anxious for Ender. I want him to win. I've never been a huge sci-fi fan. But if anything has made me so, it's this book.
 
I loved it as a kid. I love it now. And every time I read it, I see some new symbolism or parallel to my life. Lois Lowry is brilliant. All I know is, I don't want to conform to anything in life. I want to see the color in my life and feel things: even if I have to feel pain so that I can understand and feel joy.

Do I need to say anything? Isn't it self-explanatory? People always make fun of the popularity of this book. The thing is--it's the ultimate romance. A lot of struggle, a lot of class, and a happy ending. What else do you need?

Every time I read this book, I can't put it down. Even though I know the story, I am gripped by Dantes' road to revenge. I feel his anger and his loss. Dumas knows how to bring characters to life and how to portray emotions so vividly that you begin to feel it for yourself.
A classic.

This is a great adventure story. My Dad read this to me when I was little, and since then, has always been one of my favorites. I remember dreaming of the adventures in this book. And no matter how often I've read it, Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who and Mrs. Which are still my favorite characters, and I still cheer Charles on in his quest for his father through time and space. I am definitely reading this book to my kids one day. Gotta carry on the tradition. ;D

"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again." It does not get old. A mysterious love story, so convoluted and dark, you don't know what's going to happen next.

I have read this series so many times, it's laughable. So bright, so sweet, so cheery--I'm never sick of this easy read. You can't help but love Anne and hope that one day you'll have your own bosom friend. You cheer for Gilbert Blythe for years as he constantly fails to live down his "carrot" hair comment of his youth.

I just discovered this book over the summer. It was so delightful. There's no other word for it. Their is love, tragedy, friendship, laughter. I caught myself giggling several times. I had to get used to the style of writing, though. It's written in letters back and forth between the main character, Juliet Ashton, and a group of friends on Guernsey (an island off the coast of England) who banded together when German forces captured and occupied their island for the majority of WW2.

Hope this list gives you a few books to read. I can guarantee you will enjoy all of them.

2 comments:

Milan said...

Exodus sounds excellent...will put it on my to-read list, along with the hundred other books i have sitting in my bookshelf waiting for me to magically have some free time...

Unknown said...

haha and Harry Potter doesn't crack your top ten??