So the LA 1st Ward & the Santa Monica 3rd Ward put on a black tie, "Black and White" themed service auction. The proceeds go towards families in both stakes who need help to give their children a Christmas this year, and missionaries who need help.
It was a fantastic success!!
I've never been to an event like this. Everyone dressed to the nines with the sole intention of helping others.
Is that a tux you see? Why yes. Yes it is.
There was the silent auction portion, where everyone donated services such as "a dinner for 6", or "3 guitar lessons" or "1 free piano tuning", etc.
Everyone signed up! Everything was purchased that was donated.
And then there was the live auction portion of the night, where the big items were auctioned off.
Things like:
Clippers tickets
Disneyland Park Hopper tickets
Custom hand painted Vans Shoes
Lakers tickets plus parking pass
3 hour sailing trip
2 tickets to the season finale of Dancing with the Stars
1 week vacay to a beach house in El Salvador with staff included
etc...
Like WOAH. I could not have even TRIED to bid for these items. I am sadly not rich enough. Or spontaneous enough to gamble with my finances.
But people really got into it.
She was going for the Dancing with the Stars tickets. And she got them. For a LOT of money. Whew.
But it was a fantastic event. Super successful. And the best part? The feeling. That we were helping kids have a Christmas, and support missionaries in the area. With everything going on in my life, I've thought a lot about charity and service in the last couple of months. It's sad that it takes Thanksgiving and Christmas to push a lot of people to do service. It should be an everyday occurrence.
My advice?
When you're feeling particularly down, or your self-pity level is at an all-time high, DO SOMETHING NICE FOR SOMEONE ELSE WITH NO OTHER MOTIVATION THAN THE BENEFIT OF THE OTHER PERSON.
It will make you feel better.
I guarantee it.







4 comments:
Do you remember how much those DWTS tickets or the week in El Salvador went for. I think it's awesome that those things were donated and I'm just curious what one pays for such an experience! What an awesome service project!
Did you take all those pictures, KaRynn?
Good message KaRynn. It is sad that it's so hard to remember sometimes. This looks like it was a lot of fun.
Julie: Not specifically. It was in the thousands. ;D
Sarah: No. I wish I was that talented. A member of the SM3 ward took these photos and put them on facebook. He's a professional photographer. You can tell, huh?
Post a Comment