So I just have to put this up on my blog (although I haven't asked permission), but I wanted to have it somewhere where I won't ever lose it. Shane Holmes wrote this poem the summer of 2007 and I was his faux-editor for a while. I absolutely love this poem:
Borne of Four
There is a home in Capernaum
Among the dusty streets,
Wherein lives a holy man
A friend said I should seek.
Hence, I found myself outside a home,
Within a crowded street,
Where people looked and strained to hear
A voice that was calm and meek.
And as my thoughts turned to the crowd,
I saw an earnest face,
Who, learning that the Master was in,
Turned 'round and picked up his pace.
As the desert heat grew stronger
And the shade began to wane,
My eyes happened upon a touching sight
That thoughtfully and lovingly came.
A man sick of the palsy
Was carried by four friends,
Who, coming upon this pressed-in crowd
Did not their journey end.
As they cast about their weary faces,
There was on I did recognize;
And knew that they would find a way
With those determined eyes.
There was much love and tenderness
Given to this man borne of four,
As they took apart the rooftop
And lowered him to the floor.
Some moments passed,
And amid some murmurs from the crowd,
Emerged a man whose body
Was no longer weak and bowed.
His friends and he embrace,
Tears flowed without reserve;
And I could tell each face was thinking
Of who next to serve.
Strangers now departed,
The man and friends were gone;
I posed to myself a question
As I found myself alone:
To the healing love of the Savior
Would I help others to be led?
Or would I murmur, like some within the crowd,
And leave them in their bed?
-Shane Holmes
No comments:
Post a Comment