21 March 2008
Raving Fans
So I have to read this book for work about customer service. It's quite funny actually, but its made me think a lot about expectations. In the book it says, "People expect bad goods and rude service. Give 'em junk and they're not surprised. Just what they expected. As long as the abuse isn't any worse than they expected, they'll be back for more. They're not upset. Do a survey. Check it out and they'll say their satisfired. Satisfied customers. Ha! Satisfied sheep, that's what I call them." But isn't it true? I mean, how many times have you gone into Denny's and have been expecting good service? For me, never. I always expect the waiter to be slow and rude, and the food to be late and not that great. I'm never disappointed. It tends to always be true. But haven't you always seen the anonymous slips of paper to write down what you think of the service and give any complaints/advice? How many times have you actually complained about that service? For me? Never. The book talks about how a business should be extremely scared if the only form of feedback from their customers is silence. It means that it met up with their expectations (which probably aren't very high in the first place) and that it is too much of a bother to let you know when there IS a problem. That is what always goes through my head when I see those slips of paper to fill out at Denny's. I always think, "Why would I ever take the time to fill that out? It's not going to make any difference!" Oh so sad that American society and customer service in and of itself has become like this. This book was so interesting though in bringing up three main points to creating raving fans of a company or business. Read it if you want to know what they are! It's pretty short and quite entertaining. Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the subject.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment