18 January 2011

recommit

So part of the whole "new year" existential philosophy is to create a better "me." We always come up with new ideas and try to implement them for the year... and usually stop after a month. At least, that's usually what happens to me. I procrastinate, or lose the will power slash interest to continue.

But, this year I'm trying to create a better "me" not just by working on things like exercising, eating healthy, writing a book, etc. I want to work on my will power, determination, follow-through, and goal-achieving skills.

My problem is maintaining interest. i.e. exercising? Yes. It's good for me. I know how to do it. I like the pain of sore muscles and the feeling of a job well done. But... I hate sweat. I hate working out in front of people and my feet are in pain, so I am limited in what I can do.

So what can possibly keep my interest? (besides an overly-expensive personal trainer to yell at me?)

Well, I'll tell you. Today, my grandma decided that she was not going to go another day without a gym membership. Granted, I was not planning on having a gym membership (because I wasn't actually going to follow through on my exercising resolution--I know, I know. I'm a hypocrite). But how pathetic would I be if my 76 year old grandma got a gym membership and I drove her to the gym everyday and waited for her to be done at the gym? Which is more pathetic? Sitting in my car for an hour outside a gym waiting for my 76 year old grandmother to finish working out? Or actually working out with my 76 year old grandmother? Hence, my decision to go with my grandma to Bally Fitness in Santa Monica to sign up for a month-to-month membership.

I wasn't all that excited when we first walked in. It's just a typical gym. Lots of treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes and weights. Nothing special. Until the guy walked up. You know the type--good-looking, in-shape, wearing work-out clothes... the kind of sales guy that makes you wolf-whistle in your mind (because it would be unlady-like to wolf-whistle out loud... not to mention the fact that I'm not brave enough to do such a thing..)

And then we started talking and found out that he's LDS. And single. And doesn't go to the singles ward because he likes the family wards better (so how would I ever meet him otherwise? and other girls don't know about him!!) And... so we signed up with Bally Fitness.

Will I have a problem with interest in working out when there's a cute LDS guy who works at the gym Monday through Saturday? I think not. Problem: solved.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

LOL! Brent and I laughed so hard about this!! We're glad you found some good motivation!!! ;-)

Too bad that kind of thing doesn't work after your married! What can be MY motivation?

Unknown said...

Ha, way to find some motivation! That is hilarious. Does cute-single-gym-man have a name?

Paula said...

The part about waiting outside the gym for your grandma made me laugh out loud...and that's saying a lot! I've been going to the gym too...you're not alone. We can do this! Something that's helped me is having killer music to listen to and watching Biggest Loser. Hey, if they can do it, I can too :)

KaRynn said...

Cute-single-gym-man's name is Tyler. And I saw him again today. And it made me truly happy.