
So this is totally awesome. Holy Lands: A History of the Latter-Day Saints in the Near East is written by LaMar C. Barrett and Blair G. Van Dyke. But the whole book starts out with a story of my great-great-great grandfather Nishan Sherinian when he was first converted to the church by Elder Hintze in Zara, Sivas, Turkey (Armenia). What I love about this is that this book has stories and pictures of my great grandfather that we have never seen before!
I already read everything in the book that pertains to my family in Armenia. But my favorite part is when Elder Ferdinand Hintze (who consequently is considered the father of missionary work in the middle east) recorded in his journal that Elder Lund (an apostle) and he and Nishan's cousin Hagop were waiting for him in another area of Turkey. He stated that: "when we embraced and wept with joy, the most impressive being that meeting of Brother Hagop and his cousin Nishan. They embraced and kissed and cried like children. Brother Hagop particularly gave way and cried until he had to be pacified. For nearly three years they had not met. Brother Hagop had been in Zion and was now returning...and Brother Nishan had closed up hi business to come to meet us two hundred miles and to see an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ...Brother Nishan is a genuine Latter-day saint; for over seven years the Saints in his town have not seen an Elder and all the time God has protected them and let them by His Spirit." I just love it! I love my heritage! I'm so greatful for a man who had a soft enough heart to accept the gospel! Just wanted to share a little bit about my family history. =D
1 comment:
That's so cool! I totally want to get that and read it now
Post a Comment