25 April 2011

Day 7: Sixty Day Photo Challenge

My most treasured item: 
Ok, so when I first realized what today's photo challenge would be, it was super hard to come up with anything I truly treasure. I found that things that are replaceable, I didn't treasure. I love my scriptures. I treasure the words and the knowledge I gain through them, but the actual book? No. I can get another one anytime I want.


I feel like the value of the things I treasure most, have more to do with memory, emotion and attachment. And that I would be absolutely devastated if said-treasured items were lost, stolen or destroyed. And then I remembered: I've already lost one of my most treasured items. And I've never gotten over it. I'm mad at myself. And I get sad when I think about it. And I get frustrated when I can't find an exact replica. 


You see, when I turned 8 years old and was baptized, it was a big deal. My family came, and all my friends, and my leaders. And of course, people gave me gifts. My parents gave me my first set of scriptures. I'm sure I got other great things too-- but the only other gift I remember is a necklace. My primary teacher at the time (and I can't even remember her name) gave me the necklace. It was a delicate, gold chain with a delicate, gold dove pendant. I literally wore it everyday for years. And then one day, it was just gone. I remember putting it on my chest of drawers in my college dorm room my sophomore year. And the next day, it was just.... gone. I never found it. 


If you look really closely, you can kind of see it in this picture:


It was something I treasured. And even if I replaced it, it wouldn't be the same...

1 comment:

Deveny said...

I totally remember that necklace!!