So I know that trilogies, and multiple movie/novel sequels are not new to the world. I mean, back when, people followed plot lines through the newspaper or the radio. And later through TV episodes.
But I feel like in my lifetime sequels have become more popular. I mean, think about it.
The few movie trilogies that I can think of before 1990 are:
And after 1990?
Just to name a few:
A movie can't be just a great movie anymore. No, they have to leave the end open for the possibility of a sequel or more. I mean, it became so popular for movies to have sequels, that Disney couldn't resist making Cinderall II: Dreams Come True. (Horrible movie, by the way. Not worth your time or your money).
And books?
I mean, I know books have always had multiple sequels. But they have become so popularized--so marketed by the media that it is absolutely ridiculous. I can't remember what it is like not to look forward to something Harry Potter coming out.
The first book came out when I was 10. And every year since then, there has been a sequel to the book. Or the movie. Or the sequels to the movie. And how ridiculous is it that they can't even stop at the original amount of books?? SEVEN books. But EIGHT movies. I'm telling you. Ri.dic.u.lous.
And of course, I'm obsessed with other multiple novel sequels. I am too easily entertained and I just can't help enjoying the wait for the new installment in whatever series I'm following.
I know, I know. I said all of this is ridiculous. I secretly enjoy it all, of course.
But my point is, the only reason we have this secret enjoyment is because of...
Yes, money. Or greed. Or whatever you want to call it. Can anyone stop after one movie or book anymore? Nope. Granted, part of it is the clamoring of obsessed fans, but more often, it is just the basic American addiction to "one more."
How sad are we?
Oh, the curse of the "Me" Generation and Capitalism.
Did I say curse?
Whoops.
I love my sequels. ;D



















1 comment:
Haha. Funny. And true. Oh so true.
Post a Comment